The verdict is in on The Gavel, the dedicated thumper system brought to you by the innovative minds at Taylor Imagineering.
As most professional mentalists will attest, few devices offer a performer as much versatility or hands free elegance as a thumper, which has earned them their place as a staple in mentalism and magical communities alike. We here at TI believe that these communities deserve a dedicated tool that is simple to use but powerful in effect. The Gavel system is utilizes a small two channel transmitter that the confederate uses to cue the performer. The confederate can activate the transmitter either in the hand or by a hidden toe-switch. Often, there is difficulty in using a toe-switch in such a system — or even with a hand operated transmitter for that matter — in that the confederate is not always 100% sure of the duration of a signal (long or short) or even if a signal has been sent at all; the Gavel system solves that problem by providing separate receivers for the confederate and the performer. That way the confederate can monitor the exact nature of the signal the performer is getting as both receivers give identical vibrations. The results have been striking…
- Command the Stage with a tool to free the performer to focus on the performance, not the method
- Take a Seat at your own performance and know what the audience knows, in real time
- Perform with Confidence using our two tiered confirmation system for total reliability
- Travel Light with no bulky equipment to carry around
- Unlock Versatility by allowing you to improve upon mentalism classics, or to lead the way in pushing the boundaries of what can be done when you simply know the impossible
The receivers are about the size of a matchbox (5.8 x 3.5 x 1.5 cm). You will have two transmitters: one is a single channel and toe-switch active. This transmitter is always used by the confederate. The other transmitter is a two-button, two channel. The two channels each send a different signal; one is a “momentary contact” signal that transmits a steady signal as long as the switch is pressed. That means you can send long or short signals like a telegraph key. This is the channel the toe-switch transmitter activates as well. The other channel is an extra one that sends a special signal: it will cause the receivers to pulse 10 times (two sets of 5); this is can be used to indicate a special condition to the performer. For example, it my be triggered to indicate a prearranged message such as, “Yes, that’s the one” or “Do it all again”. This transmitter can be held by the confederate or can be used by the performer to communicate with the confederate.
The Gavel allows the performer to take a front row seat at their own performance, ensuring that you know what the audience knows, even as it is revealed to them. With the assistance of a confederate, this knowledge is provided in real time, with no time delay or misdirection, ensuring that the revelation can occur at the critical moment of audience anticipation and command a dramatic reaction.
Of course it is no fun being handed a tool as astonishingly versatile as The Gavel without routines to get started with, which is why we are proud to provide  performance ready routines for your enjoyment. Mixing some mentalism classics along side some original routines from the curious mind of Christopher Taylor, you are sure to find something to inspire you. You will perform…
- Red / Black: When the participant and the performer compare a freely chosen stack of cards, their colours miraculously match perfectly in the same order.
- Locate a hidden object: An object hidden after the performer leaves the room is found unerringly when he returns.
- Jelly bean: A single coloured piece of candy is chosen by a spectator from among a large dish poured onto a table without the performer present, only for the performer to chose to devour that exact one upon their return. Delicious!
- Sympathetic Pendulums: Back to back, the performer and a spectator hold pendulums at arms length. The moment the spectator’s pendulum begins to unconsciously respond to a chosen option, so too does the performer’s.
- Hot Potato: A crumpled ball of paper is passed around among a group of spectators behind the back of the performer. Yet when the command to stop is given by the performer, the spectator left holding the ball unfolds it to reveal a prediction – their own name!
- Cartomancy: Three participants each choose a card from a deck, mix them together, and lay them face down in front of them. The performer is then able to correctly read the personality traits of the participants to determine who each card belongs to, even so well as to predict the last card before it is revealed.
Let the simplicity and power of The Gavel become your new guilty pleasure today. Meeting adjourned.
- 1 wireless transmitter with toe switch permanently attached
- A second transmitter with two channels
- 2 wireless receivers, for performer and confederate
- 2 AAA batteries
- On line digital instructions
- 1 year TI manufacturer’s warranty